Menu Close

Covid Plan B – hall hirers need to check whether or not their activities are exempt from wearing face covering

The Government announced that England is moving to Plan B in response to the risks of the Omicron variant:

Wear a face covering in most indoor public places and on public transport
Get tested and self-isolate if required
Work from home, if you can
Get vaccinated
Let fresh air in if you meet indoors. Meeting outdoors is safer.

Check the government website for the latest information:

From 10 December, face coverings will be required by law in most indoor public places and on public transport, including taxis. See a full list of places where you must wear a face covering.

There are some exemptions. You do not have to wear a face covering in hospitality settings such as cafés, restaurants and pubs. This is because it is not practical to keep removing face coverings to eat or drink.

You do not need to wear a face covering in nightclubs or certain other night-time venues, including dance halls and discotheques. This is because it is not recommended that you wear a face covering while exercising or during strenuous physical activity, including dancing.

Settings which are exempt from wearing a face covering include:

Restaurants, cafés and canteens
Bars and shisha bars
Gyms & exercise facilities
Photography studios
Nightclubs, dance halls and discotheques

In indoor settings where a face covering is not legally required, you should still continue to wear a face covering in crowded and enclosed spaces where you may come into contact with other people you do not normally meet.